UNDERTOW takes place 18 months after the end of Dark Tome Season 2. As the world tries to reconcile the inexplicable occurrences in Simpson Falls, Maine, Simpson Falls native and investigative reporter Tony Baxter, is called on assignment.
But as Tony starts to dig underneath the surface, he finds the subject of the story is soon on him, and the aftermath of a childhood tragedy he’s never fully reconciled. Tony is faced with an impossible choice, and he and his partner, photojournalist Sonia Proud, won’t be able to leave the town as they arrived.
Featuring over 40 actors, a full original score and recorded across the United States during lockdown, UNDERTOW is a slow-burn audio-horror thriller in the veins of 1980s Stephen King paperbacks.
All episodes now available, exclusive to Stitcher Premium. Use promo code DARK for a free month’s trial.
Listen to Dark Tome Undertow
Dark Tome Undertow: Chapter 1
The Dark Tome Undertow is an original audio movie created by Fred Greenhalgh.
Written by Fred Greenhalgh and Greg Tulonen. Story by Fred Greenhalgh, William Dufris, Barry Dodd, and Greg Tulonen. Based on The Dark Tome, created by Fred Greenhalgh and William Dufris. Story consulting by Christopher Reynaga and Marguerite Croft. Sensitivity consulting by Maulian Dana.
The Dark Tome: Undertow features the talents of:
- Tony Aidan Vo as Tony Baxter
- Stephanie Diaz as Sonia Proud
- Jason Grasl as Ricky Hill and “X” human form
- Colleen A. Madden as Melissa
- Anna Carvalho as Maria
- Herbie Madden as Young Tony
- Vivian Madden as Young Melissa
- Denise Poirier as Receptionist, Dispatcher, and Roberta
- Graham Rowat as Edwin, Guard, and Drunk
- Holly Adams as Tanja and Waitress
- Kim Gordon as Cynthia
- Lisa Stathoplos as Mainah Mom and Jackie
- Lukie Crowell as Kid Ricky
- Maiya Koloski as Skeptical Teen
- Moira Driscoll as Nurse Cote and Psychologist’s Office
- Nathan Dana Aldritch as Marty
- Ned Donovan as Billy the Clown
- Paul Bellefeuille as Bartender, Local Man and Reporter
- Peter Berkrot as Sheriff
- PJ Ochlan as Scott, Manager, Town Assessor, and Drunk
- Ray Porter as Digby
- Richard Fish as Radio DJ
- Richard McGonagle as Dr. Leopold
- Sam Mowry as Monster, and Trucker
- Tim Sample as Mr. Gussy
- Wendy Tremont King as Madge
- William Steele as Psychologist
- Additional voices by the cast
Directed and Produced by Fred Greenhalgh.
Dialogue editing and sound design by Jason DeWald of Audio Evolutions. Additional sound by Mind’s Eye Productions. Final mix by Fred Greenhalgh. Original score by Hubert Campbell. Theme song, “Here My Friend Your Future” by Frank Schulmeyer.
Lack Acknowledgement: The Dark Tome: Undertow was produced from lockdown with distributed performers across continental North America, in locations traditionally stewarded by numerous Indigenous tribes. The home base of Dagaz Media is in York County, Maine, ancestral land of the Wabanaki Confederacy. The fictionalized location of Simpson Falls, Maine, is inspired by the Penobscot County region of Maine, the ancestral land of the Penobscot Nation, the oldest continuous government in the world.
The Dark Tome is a Dagaz Media Production.
Behind the Scenes of Dark Tome Undertow
What fun we had collaborating with actors all across the United States. Welcome to the new world of decentralized recording (with hours of painstakingly designed real-world sounds to give it that sense of authenticity). This project was recorded completely remotely and utilizing union talent under a SAG-AFTRA New Media agreement.